Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Filters

Date: Mon, 9 May 2005 14:56:49 -0500

I am running a freshly compiled 0.10.11 using MSVC 6.0 on WinXP SP2 and am
having some minor problems with filters and registering dst ports. I've
dabbled with the source over the years, but not often enough to track some
of these problems down in an efficient manor or to make sensible changes,
so I'm asking the Ethereal community for their expertise.

Display filters, in particular "ip.addr != x.x.x.x", use to work for both
src and dst addresses, but now I must make an elaborate formula to filter
both src and dst.

Secondly, dissector_add("tcp.port", TCP_PORT_8888, aml_handle); doesn't
register both src and dst, and using tcp.srcport and tcp.dstport fail. This
is also evident when I select a packet and decode_as, the packet does not
change from TCP to the AML dissector as I've selected.

Another quirk is when I chose Statistics and a protocol such as H.323 that
presents two consecutive windows, when I cancel my stat window, the window
behind Ethereal comes to the foreground. I would think this should go back
to the Ethereal page that launched these. This happens on other versions
that I haven't compiled, as well.

Carl R. Knox
Sr. Telecommunications Analyst
Liberty Enterprises