Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Specifying interface at command line in windows

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 04 May 2005 14:29:04 -0700
Ashvin Agrawal wrote:

I want to launch ethereal from command line. I have to use the interface option “-i”. But I am unable to do so.

I.e., because the names, at least in modern (i.e., NT 5.x) versions of Windows are horrible ugly strings with a GUID in them, and not at all obvious, unlike the way they are on UN*X (and somewhat on NT 4.0)?

How do we find out the interface name in Windows (in linux we say eth0).

Run "tethereal -D", which will enumerate the interfaces it knows about. It'll list some really ugly names starting with "\Device", and should also give a somewhat more human-readable name.

(Ideally, Ethereal would also support "-D", but, just as with "-v", we might want to suppress GUI stuff, such as the splash screen, as those options would just print stuff and quit. We should also support numerical interface IDs in Ethereal's "-i" flag, as Tethereal does, so you don't have to type the ugly name.)