Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] (no subject)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 31 Mar 2005 20:50:11 -0800
Malachi Tharp wrote:

This looks somewhat like garble to me, so if somebody could give me some very simple advice that new ears would understand, it would be much appreciated.

The best advice I could give to *new* ears is, in this case, "try installing a package from DarwinPorts:

	http://www.darwinports.org/

although they're two versions behind (0.10.8), or from Fink:

	http://fink.sourceforge.net/

although their binary package is even *further* behind.

If you want to do anything else, you will have to arrange that there's an "acceptable C compiler" on the system. It's not installed by default; you might have it on one of the CD-ROMs that came with your system, or there might be an installer (go to "Applications" in the Finder, then, if there's a folder "Installers", go to that folder, and then go to "Xcode Tools" if there's a folder with that name in "Installers", then double-click on "Developer.mpkg" if that's in "Xcode Tools". Then follow the steps the installer gives you. Don't do an "Easy Install", do a custom install, and make sure the "Developer Tools Software", "gcc 3.3", "Mac OS X SDK", "Developer Documentation", "BSD SDK", and "X11 SDK" are all selected. (I don't think the X11 SDK is installed by default, but you'll need it for Ethereal.)