Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Tethereal analyzing a large capture file crashes...

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 07 Mar 2005 15:28:30 -0800
Joel R. Helgeson wrote:

What seems to happen is that tethereal uses up the ram and swap, up to a total of 2gigs used then it crashes and states that it failed to allocate xxxx bytes of memory...

Is xxxx a small number (in which case it's probably just that a bunch of data structures built while reading the capture aren't freed, because it's not clear when they won't be needed), or an extremely large number (in which case it's probably because some dissector is reading a length field from the packet and trying to allocate a buffer big enough to hold all that data, even if the length field has an extremely large and possibly bogus value)?