Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] How can I translate Ethereal GUI texts ?

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 04 Mar 2005 01:48:16 -0800
nadir alkahtani wrote:

1.how Can I translate ethereal to another langauge ?

Ethereal currently isn't structured particularly well to support translation to other languages. You might be able to modify it to use GNU gettext, or to use the various message catalog methods available on particular OSes. If that were done, you might be able to do most of the translation work by translating the messages in the catalog, although note that some messages are "constructed" - for example, some messages might say "1 byte" or "17 bytes", with the code just adding an "s" to "bytes", and in other languages the rules for constructing plurals are probably different.

However, given the "saudi" in your e-mail address, you might be thinking of translating it into Arabic, in which case there might be more issues than just pure language issues - i.e. an Arabic translation, for example, might also have left-to-right vs. right-to-left issues in the UI; I have the impression that UIs in right-to-left languages often put a label for a UI widget to the right of the widget, e.g.:

	Name: [                  ]

in a dialog box would, I have the impression, become

	[                    ]: {translation of "Name"}

in Arabic, Hebrew, Farsi, etc..

If so, you might have to deal with that (people could probably *use* it with the label to the left of the text, but they might find it a bit strange looking, and perhaps a bit awkward to use). I don't know how much help, if any, GTK+ (the toolkit Ethereal is using) provides for that.

2.can I use this program in commercial porpose ? if I want to translate all words (like packet , edit , tools , file , and help files and docs ..etc) that appear in program , can I get money behind this done ? I want to bild a site and let costomer to download it with master card , is this legal ?

Yes - but if somebody buys it:

1) if they ask you for the source to your modified version of Ethereal, you have to provide it to them;

2) you can't stop them from giving away the program they bought, complete with the source, to anybody they want without paying you a further license fee, as discussed in other messages.