Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] usb modem

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 10:14:59 -0800
Darren Wilson wrote:
Can I use ethereal to monitor trafic through USB ports? (i.e. my ADSL modem connected to a USB port?)

As far as Ethereal is concerned, that's not a USB port, it's probably either a PPP link or an Ethernet link, so it should be able to capture on it (if you're running Windows, you might need WinPcap 3.1 beta 4).

It will not, however, capture it as USB traffic (which is good, given that Ethereal has no dissector for raw USB). It'll dissect it as PPP or Ethernet traffic.