Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal_0_10_8

From: Muzalina Zakaria <muzalina_zakaria@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 20 Dec 2004 05:31:47 -0800 (PST)
Hi Guy,

Sorry to email directly instead of using the ethereal-users.  I am very new to this ethereal so would like to ask some basic questions.

I did captures on my GPRS link i.e. I connected my cell phone thru USB port to my laptop.  When I open the capture file, in the Packet Details pane, I got the protocol layers - Frame>Ethernet>IP>TCP>FTP (I did an FTP file transfer).  Why do I get Frame and Ethernet protocol layers as I am doing capture on PPP on the link layer?

Thanks.

Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:
Muzalina Zakaria wrote:

> I've done some captures on ethereal_0_10_6. If I view these captures in
> ethereal_0_10_8, will I be able to get PDU times and TCP retransmission
> time out?

It doesn't make a difference how the packets were captured - captures
from 0.10.6 are in the same file format as 0.10.8, so the Ethereal
features in question should work equally well with 0.10.6 captures or
0.10.8 captures or tcpdump captures (as long as the snapshot length is
long enough - Ethereal's default snapshot length is 65535 bytes, which
captures all of the packet, but tcpdump's is 68 or 96 bytes) or captures
from other applications whose captures Ethereal can read.

> Please explain more on PDU.

If you're referring to the item

Ethereal can now track TCP PDU times. See the wiki page for more details.

in the Ethereal 0.10.8 announcement, the version of the announcement on
the Ethereal Web site links to an item in the Ethereal Wiki:

http://wiki.ethereal.com/TcpPduTime