Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Problem on Windows XP with "Update list of packets in real time

From: "Douglas Burdett" <burdett@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 17 Dec 2004 14:08:49 -0500

I am a new user of Ethereal on Windows XP SP2 but I am having no luck using the "Update list of packets in real time" option on the Capture.  When I select that option, the Ethereal hangs and must be closed from the Task Manager.  After the Ethereal is cancelled then I see the capture begin to function.

As I understand it, whenever the “Update list of packets in real time" option is selected, the capture is executed as a separate task which writes into the capture file, while the original Ethereal task reads data from that file.  It seems to me that the Capture task is somehow prevented from running until the original Ethereal is cancelled.

Obviously that defeats the purpose of the “Update list of packets in real time" option. Can anyone suggest a possible cause for this and more importantly, a solution?

Thanks

Doug Burdett