Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] JPG-Export from captured file (TCP-Reassembly)

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 18 Dec 2004 11:54:25 -0800
Olivier Biot wrote:

Go to Edit -> Preferences. In the left pane, click on "Protocols" so you can edit the protocol preferences.

Look at TCP, and make sure that "Allow subdissector to reassemble TCP streams" is enabled. Then look at HTTP, and enable at least the first 3 preferences (reassemble headers, reassemble bodies, reassemble chunked bodies).

Save the preferences, and reload the capture file (you may use the display filter "image-jfif or image-gif" to search for JPEG and GIF in the captured packets).

Once you found an image, click on the protocol line in the dissection window ("JPEG File Interchange Format" or "Compuserve GIF, Version: 87a/89a") so the relevant bytes get highlighted (selected), and export the selected packet bytes, either from the File menu, or by right-clicking on the packet.

...and if any of that can't be done, e.g. because HTTP doesn't have those preferences, or JPEGs aren't dissected, upgrade to a newer version of Ethereal (I don't remember when those were added, but if it was after 0.10.3, the original poster will have to upgrade - items in the Wiki are likely to refer to the current version, so anybody running older versions might find that they don't apply).