Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Opening an Ethereal file

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 09:41:08 -0800
Mina sina wrote:

 >There isn't any way to get Tethereal to generate that in tabular form.
Is there any way to get in space seperated data?

There's no way to get a space-separated version of the detailed dissection from Tethereal.

 >Do you really need *all* the fields in the detail? If you only need
 >specific fields, there's a way to get that in tabular form.
Theoritically yes *all* but i might live with specific. Or i make combination of specific to get the nearly *all*.

If you can live with specific fields, you could try using the "-z proto,colinfo" option, which adds information about specific fields ot the Info column in the summary display. For example, to add the "ip.ttl" option to the Info column, use the option

	-z proto,colinfo,ip.ttl,ip.ttl

How can i apply command to get more than one options let say... >tethereal -r -somethingelse input_file >output_file.txt

That's how you do it.

Is there any way that instead of going to Command line, I make a small VB or C/C++ GUI that does tethereal stuff using tethereal while not actually typing stuff in tethereal?

That might be possible. There's a CreateProcess() call in Windows that can run a program (you'd have to look at the documentation for the Win32 API to see how to use that); I don't know VB, so I don't know how you'd use it, or otherwise run a program, in VB. You'd presumably want to create a pipe and make it the standard output of Tethereal, and read from that pipe; I don't remember offhand what the name of the Win32 call is to create an unnamed pipe.