Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] mergecap screwing up timestamps

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 01:31:56 -0800
Edward Mazurek wrote:

I have mergecap 0.10.4. I think it's the latest as I just downloaded it.

The latest is 0.10.7; some platforms might not have the latest version in binary form, so the one available for those platforms might be older, e.g. 0.10.4.

You might want to try 0.10.7, if you can.

Anyone out there using mergecap to merge together trace files?

I'm trying to merge together some trace files and it's screwing
up the timestamps in the output file.

For example:

- In the output file the timestamps start @ 3:30AM then at around
frame 350 the timestamps go to 2:19:05AM. The are supposed to be
in chronological order.

- Also, all of the records timestamps are not the same in the output
file vs. what they were in the input file. I'm using the current
ethereal to view both the input and output(merged) file.

What file formats are the input files? Read the file into Ethereal, select "Summary" from the "Statistics" file, and report what it says for "Format:".

I assume you didn't specify a "-F" flag, so the output file was in libpcap format.