Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Cannot upgrade to 10.7

From: Andrew Hood <ajhood@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 14 Dec 2004 08:17:30 +1100
Matt Bayliss wrote:
Hi, I was running Ethereal 10.2 on a Windows 2000 Advanced Server and tried to upgrade to 10.7. I uninstalled 10.2 and then tried to install 10.7, however I get "Error writing to file libethereal.dll".

The checksum of the file (ethereal-setup-0.10.7.exe) I'm using is b137f41f57e84ada669b6a40a8b7a6e1.

Can anyone suggest a course of action?

Maybe the file is locked. Try some of these:
1. Reboot and retry the install.
2. Reboot into safe mode and retry the install.
3. If it still happens, try renaming the dll (you can usually do this even with it locked), reboot, delete the renamed dll, and retry the install.

<mode humour=on>Switch to another O/S with better behaviour.</mode>

                -- Dr. Who