Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] New to capturing, ? about http authorizations

From: Jonathan Sanders <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 14:07:52 -0600
Can't you throw in a -e for link level info? And you're right about the -s 0, I just throw 1500 down there out of an old bad habit and haven't changed to -s 0 yet. :) Thanks for the reminder. I really need to get with the times here...

Guy Harris wrote:
Jonathan Sanders wrote:

I do a

tcpdump -nt -X -s1500 'filter expression here'

for whenever I need to get the actual packet data from tcpdump....

Presumably by "actual packet data" you mean "full packet dissection" - if you mean "raw packet data", in a form Ethereal can use, you'd also use "-w {filename}" for a file that can be read by programs that can read libpcap files (tcpdump/WinDump, Ethereal/Tethereal, and a number of other programs that do various sorts of network analysis).

Note also that if you want to capture a full Ethernet packet, the argument to "-s" needs to be 1514 or greater or, in newer versions of tcpdump, 0 (which, in newer versions, means "65535", which is the largest snapshot length that some systems support). The argument to "-s" is the largest packet length *including the link-layer header*, not the largest *payload* length - i.e., if you want all packets to be captured in full, it should *not* be the MTU for the network.

(Note also that the "link-layer header" might include various bits of "metadata", such as VPI/VCI and possibly packet type information for ATM and radio information such as signal strength for some 802.11 link-layer header types.)