Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] New to capturing, ? about http authorizations

From: Jonathan Sanders <jonathan@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 12:00:01 -0600
I do a

tcpdump -nt -X -s1500 'filter expression here'

for whenever I need to get the actual packet data from tcpdump....

Just my $.02.

Mike Partyka wrote:
Could i make tcpdump capture the necessary detail by using the snaplen
option, like:

tcpdump -s 0 -w tcp_cap 'dst host 192.168.10.1 && tcp port 80'

Or is it necessary to use the verbose switches like -v -vv or -vvv, like

tcpdump -vvv -s 0 tcp_cap 'dst host 192.168.10.1 && tcp port 80'

I know this isn't an ethereal question directly but since tcpdump is on
almost every box it's handy for performing the capure and then analying the
capture in ethereal.

Thanks,

Mike Partyka
Stonepath Logistics