Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] New to capturing, ? about http authorizations

From: "Mike Partyka" <mike.partyka@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 10 Dec 2004 08:09:23 -0600
Hello,

I am new to capturing in general but like most people on this list am
finding it very helpful.

In our environment, we have a groupware server that has a company ldap
directory, that ldap directory gets sync'd to Outlook's contact list using a
third party piece of software that uses webdav which operates over http.

My question is since http is not secure, and authorization is required to
get that company list, when i run an http capture (tcpdump host 192.168.10.1
and port 80) on my laptop and then do a manual sync, i don't ever see any
account information and password being sent. How can this be? I know the
authentication is occuring but i'm not seeing it.

Thanks,

Mike Partyka
Stonepath Logistics
Systems Administrator