Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] TDS + Lotus

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 12:56:23 -0800
Marshal V Langlois wrote:

It's actually on port 1352. In fact... SOME of the traffic in the capture is represented simply as tcp without any specification as to what it thinks it is.

Currently, the "conversation" code, which handles the "make everything in the connection TDS" stuff, doesn't let a dissector specify that everything *past a certain point* is a particular protocol. When the packet summary list is constructed, only packets after the packet it thinks looks like a TDS summary will be displayed as such, although if you later click on earlier packets they'll be dissected as TDS.

I guess some Lotus Notes packet looked enough like a TDS packet for the TDS dissector. Ethereal has no dissector for Lotus Notes, so it's not going to recognize any Notes packets. If you can send us a capture, we might be able to see why it apparently recognized a Notes packet as a TDS packet, and might be able to fix it not to do so. (Making it dissect Lotus Notes would require either a protocol specification for Notes or a large amount of time and network traffic to reverse-engineer the protocol - I have neither the time nor the network traffic to do so.)