Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] OSPF LSA

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 09 Dec 2004 00:55:50 -0800
Kraus Blaise wrote:

I have a network with 4 computers. A windows (windows
2000 )- computer wich run the Ethhereal0.10.7 and
three Linux-computers.  The first, the second
Linux-computer and the windows-computer are connected
through a hub.  The third Linux-computer are connected
with the first and the second Linux-computer. All
Linux-computers run the GNU Tebra Routing demon.  My
problem is that I can only capture Hello packet with
Ethereal. If I remove a link for instance, Ethereal
don't capture LSU (LSA).If somebody know, what I can
do so that Ethereal capture LSU(LSA)-packet,I would be
very happy.

Is the hub a *true* hub, or a "switching hub", or a dual-speed (10/100Mb) hub? And, if it's a 10/100Mb hub, is the Windows machine running at a different speed from the Linux machines?

If the Hello packets are broadcast, but the LSU packets aren't broadcast, then, if the hub is a switching hub, or it's a dual-speed hub and the Windows machine is running at a different speed from the Linux machines, it won't see any unicast traffic between the Linux machines, it'll only see unicast traffic sent to it, and broadcast and multicast traffic:

	http://www.ethereal.com/faq#q5.1