Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal Statistics vs Summary

From: "Gavin Newman" <NEWMANGJ@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 03 Dec 2004 16:53:33 +1030
I'm having a problem when using the statistics part of Ethereal. I'm trying to quantify the traffic for a given host amongst much other traffic. If I use the endpoints or conversations list the byte and packet counts for that host does not tally with the packet and byte count I get if I apply a display filter defining that host and then use the summary menu item. There are only 2 or 3 remote hosts talking to this server, the traffic is primarily TDS over IP.

The endpoint and conversation list packet and byte counts are far less than the values in the summary (after filtering), I've confirmed that the summary supplied values are correct by adding up the total IP packet lengths for every packet for the host.

I assumed that if I did an endpoints list I should see all traffic to and from that endpoint and that if I did a conversations list I assumed that if I totalled up all the bytes for each of the conversations with that server prior to filtering on the server I would get the packet count and byte count figures given in the Summary panel after filtering on the server.

Any help would be appreciated.

Gavin Newman

***** IMPORTANT INFORMATION *****
This document should be read only by those persons to whom it is
addressed and its content is not intended for use by any other
persons. If you have received this message in error, please notify
us immediately. Please also destroy and delete the message from
your computer. Any unauthorised form of reproduction of this message
is strictly prohibited.

St George Bank Limited AFSL 240997 or its subsidiaries ASSIRT Pty Ltd
AFSL 240979, Advance Asset Management Limited AFSL 240902, PACT
Accountants Investment Group Pty Limited AFSL 240693, St George Life
Limited AFSL 240900, ASGARD Capital Management Limited AFSL 240695
and Securitor Financial Group Limited AFSL 240687 is not liable for
the proper and complete transmission of the information contained in
this communication, nor for any delay in its receipt.