Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Sniffing 802.11b control packets from neighbouring channels

From: "Henky Jatmiko Gunawan" <eng10810@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 2 Dec 2004 23:17:05 +0800
Has anybody tried to sniff 802.11b control packets from neighbouring channels?
I was sniffing on channel 6 but I seem to be able to get beacons from the neighbouring channels as well. Has anybody observed this?

I was using Linksys WPC11 on hostap driver. I put it into monitor mode and set it to channel 6. I rotated my AP to provide service from channel 1 to channel 11, as I continue to sniff at channel 6. Strangely, ethereal seems to show that I have also captured beacons that are supposedly transmitted on other channels as well.

As far as I know, I should only be getting packets from channel 6. An article from this mailing list also seems to suggest that:
http://www.ethereal.com/lists/ethereal-users/200401/msg00012.html

Regards,

Henky