Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Request ethereal wrong ethernet adresses

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 12:04:53 -0800
Casier Geert (bizinc) wrote:

Using  HP_UX 11.11 OS witch ethereal version 0.9.15
we ' ve found that the mac source ethernet adresses change all the time for
whatever station during a capture session.

I.e., the address shown in the packet details window changes for packets coming from the same IP address?

What happens if you capture the traffic with tcpdump and then read it in Ethereal? If you see the same problem, then...

We suppose this is a bug or wrong configuration in Ethereal
since there is nothing wrong with the mac adresses on the particular
workstation ....

...it's probably not a problem with Ethereal.

Note, however, that if the machine sending the packets isn't on the same LAN segment as the machine running the program doing the capturing, the MAC address on the packets will be the MAC address of the router through which the packets are passing, not the MAC address of the machine sending the packets, in which case it could just be that the routes are changing.