Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Monitoring internal trafic on Windows XP

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 11:59:59 -0800
MARKO HTNET wrote:

I just installed Ethreal to monitor some
traffic between server and client on my Windows XP
pc.
But it seems that I can not see the traffic where source and destination are both on my PC. It is possible to see (capture) only
the traffic which really goes out on the wire, is it true

Unfortunately, yes, it's true on Windows. The packets are wrapped around internally in a fashion that doesn't allow WinPcap to see them.