Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] A few questions...

From: Marco van den Bovenkamp <marco@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 01 Dec 2004 16:41:06 +0100
Amir Oded wrote:

1. I know it is possible to start capturing from the command line, and I am wondering if there is a command for stopping the capture and saving it to a file using a different command. Until now all I could accomplish was start and capture within a single command. What I need is the option to start and stop the capture in two commands instead of one. Is this supported by tethereal?

Not directly, but you could just 'kill -QUIT' the tethereal process (on Unix). There are probably ways to do it on Windows as well, if that's what you're using.

2. In order to use the capture files in my environment I need to use the "print" option from the file menu, and then printing to a file in expended mode (I am using a parser for the results), is there a possibility to do this from the command line, and that the capture savefile will automatically be in that format.

Look at the '-V' option (and perhaps '-x' as well) and redirect the output to a file.

--

		Regards,

			Marco.