Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] how cani use mergecap for winxp?

From: Ian Schorr <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 28 Oct 2004 13:43:32 -0400
* typically indicates "all files in the current directory".

This means that if you run the command while in the c:\captures\ directory, it indicates "all files in c:\captures\"

You can put the files wherever you want, and then execute the command from within that directory, or specify the exact path, i.e. "mergecap -w output_file.cap c:\captures\temp\*"

Keep in mind that since you don't specify an explicit directory for "mergecap" or "output_file.cap", it will also be assumed that those are in the same directory as where you execute the command (with the exception that Windows will look through its "search path" to try to find "mergecap" if it can't find it in the current directory).

If this still isn't clear, you **really** need to spend some time learning the basics about the Windows command prompt. There are plenty of websites out there, and it's sort of essential to understand these concepts if you ever want to do anything with Windows beyond using Word, Excel, and Internet Explorer (the last bit you shouldn't be using in the first place)...

I'm also not 100% sure that trying to specify * for "infiles" will work for mergecap in Win32. I'm assuming if it works on other platforms it should be interpreted properly, but can anyone confirm?

Ian