Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal and ISAKMP/ESP sniffing

From: "Hensley, Bill (Space Technology)" <bill.hensley@xxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 27 Oct 2004 21:44:55 -0700

I've got a problem with using Ethereal.  I used an earlier Ethereal (0.7, I think) to monitor an IPSec session between a number of machines on a hub-connected network.

I am now using Ethereal (0.10.6) on a Windows 2000 box with a NIC that is known to operate in promiscuous mode.  The machine is seeing all of the broadcast traffic on the wire, but it's not seeing anything else unless it's directed specifically at the machine.  I've run through the troubleshooting on the website, read the FAQs, and extensively searched Google (web and groups).  One guy here thinks that it has something to do with IPSec encrypting the headers of the packets, but since we can's see the clear pings either I don't think it's an IPSec problem.

I'd appreciate any guidance from the list.
Cheers, Bill

Bill.Hensley@xxxxxxx
405.736.8423 (vox)
405.205.4805 (cell)