Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] license compliance inquiry

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 21 Oct 2004 09:54:51 -0700
Jeff Gjertson wrote:

My name is Jeff Gjertson, and I am working on a license compliance project for Journal Broadcast Group in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. The scope of the project is to discover what licensing requirements you, /_Ethereal_/, have for /_Ethereal_/. I am interested in licensing requirements for single machines, and the breakdown for enterprise licensing.

Fortunately, I happen to use a Mac running OS X 10.3[.x] as my main machine at home, so I have a program (TextEdit) that can read Word documents. Not everybody on the list - and not everybody who's a core Ethereal developer - necessarily has software that can read Word documents (they might have OpenOffice.org, or one of the other free-software word processors, if they're running, for example, Linux or one of the BSDs other than OS X).

In answer to the questions, the licensing requirements are:

	License requirements for:

	1 machine:

		don't violate the GPL

	2 – infinity machines:

		don't violate the GPL

	enterprise:

		don't violate the GPL

	server access:

		don't violate the GPL

	update / upgrade options:

		as long as you don't violate the GPL, you can upgrade however you want

	update / upgrade fee schedule:

		$0 per upgrade

	license fee schedule:

		$0 per user

I.e., it's free software.

The GPL you're not supposed to violate can be found at

	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl.html

or in the COPYING file in the Ethereal source code. A FAQ about it can be found at

	http://www.gnu.org/licenses/gpl-faq.html

> I appreciate your timely response, and look forward to
working with you and your company.

There's no company, there's just a bunch of developers. The only reason it's "ethereal.com" rather than "ethereal.org" is that somebody already had "ethereal.org" when we (well, when Gerald Combs, the person who started the project, and still runs it) tried registering a domain name.