Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Program crashes reading 110 MB capture file from redhat sys

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 12:10:38 -0700
Doug Poulin wrote:
Is there any way to open a large file?

	ethereal -r {file name}

It crashes in various wonderful ways every time I try to open this file.

That isn't necessarily the result of the file being large. It could be the result of a bug in, for example, one of the protocol packet dissectors.

When the 0.10.7 release comes out, try installing that and opening it with 0.10.7. If that also causes a crash, try using gdb to get a stack trace from the core dump, and send us the stack trace (*don't* send us the core dump, that doesn't work unless the same version of Ethereal, the same version of the OS, and the same instruction set architecture as the ones that produced the core dump are available).

If you split the file, attempting to read one of the pieces might still cause a crash.