Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] t38

From: Morvai Lajos <lajos.morvai@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 18 Oct 2004 12:36:06 +0200
Title: t38

Hallo,

I am trying to analyse fax calls using T38 over IP  with Ethereal 0.10.6
The connection starts as G711 and it is switched to T38 on the detection of fax tones.

Ethereal unfortunately decodes the T38 packets as "RTP packets version unknown"
I tried the "Decode as..." functionality of ethereal in vain. The packets remained  decoded as RTP.

I tried to set the T38 UDP port in the "Preferences..." for T38. It did not work. The packets remained  decoded as RTP.

I found a workoraind in the FAQs:
"A temporar solution can be to use a display filter "rtp.version == 0" and
save just those packets in a new file, and use "Decode As.."
after loading in that file. However it would be nice to solve this problem
in a better way."

The workoround worked but I wonder whether there is final fix for the problem. (or a better workoraund.)

best regards

Lajos Morvai.