Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem with Norton Internet Security 2005

From: David Dickinson <daviddickinson@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 09 Oct 2004 21:44:01 +0100
Hi,

Norton Internet Security doesn't seem to create any other interfaces (none that I can see in the Ethereal interface anyway). It probably is related to WinPCap - I've googled their mailing list archive but didn't turn up anything relevant.

Maybe Norton have changed something in their firewall - there are a couple of knowledgebase articles on their site basically advising on how to take an Ethereal capture to help in diagnosing firewall problems... mainly related to older firewall software, or their enterprise stuff though. Maybe the 2005 version just isn't compatible.

Thanks anyway,
David.

Olivier Biot wrote:
Hello David,

If the problem is that you cannot capture anymore, maybe Norton Internet Security creates other virtual capture interfaces, so you'd have to select another capture device from Ethereal. Otherwise the problem is not related to Ethereal, but to WinPCap. Take a look at their website, maybe the bug you refer to is known by them, and meybe even fixed: http://winpcap.polito.it/

You can contact the WinPCap developers via http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm

Best regards,

Olivier