Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Problem with Norton Internet Security 2005

From: "Olivier Biot" <ethereal@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 9 Oct 2004 21:50:40 +0200
Hello David,

If the problem is that you cannot capture anymore, maybe Norton Internet Security creates other virtual capture interfaces, so you'd have to select another capture device from Ethereal. Otherwise the problem is not related to Ethereal, but to WinPCap. Take a look at their website, maybe the bug you refer to is known by them, and meybe even fixed: http://winpcap.polito.it/

You can contact the WinPCap developers via http://winpcap.polito.it/contact.htm

Best regards,

Olivier

----- Original Message ----- From: David Dickinson

Hi,

I'm running Win XP service pack 2, Ethereal 0.10.6 and WinPCap 3.1 beta 3. Everything worked fine until I installed Norton Internet Security 2005. Now Ethereal doesn't see any traffic on my network port - Norton doesn't raise any dialogs or problems, and Ethereal doesn't crash or anything - just doesn't see any packets at all.

Temporarily disabling the firewall doesn't seem to fix anything. Anyone have any suggestions or workarounds? Otherwise it looks like I'll have to uninstall Norton to get Ethereal working again...

Thanks for any advice.

David.