Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 78 percent of ARP packets on the network

Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 18:27:55 -0500
Well, the network is a 139.60.0.0/255.255.0.0 doing natting to the outside via
PIX that NATs to 64.116.x.x. The network has around 200 machines.
Yes, I know the 139.x.x.x is wrong but somehow they decided that was a good
network (why do they want 65536 hosts in unknown to me..) But since they are
doing NATting I see no problem related to this ARP storm. The net numbering can
be fixed later.....

A few minutes ago we also discover IPX traffic. About 10%. So they have a case
of Lame sysadmins that do click-click-clik Windows installations.

It has several jetdirect devices that are know to do broadcasts (will be checked
and disabled if needed) but the devices are like a year old and the problem
just started a few days ago.

As per the validity of the ARP SRC and DST, I will check that tomorrow and do a
repost to this list.The ARP list is so hughe and it was already closing time
down here (gmt -5) that we were not able to verify it onsite.

It cannot be nachy/welchia worm because thats for Win2k/XP and they have a lot
of 95/98/NT machines. Only a few (less than 20) are XP Pro. Unless of course
somehow they got a way to infect those older OSs.

David: port mirroring is working fine.
Peter: Ill check SRC and DST tomorrow and do a repost.
Andrew: Well, Ill ditch MS technologies from my entire country if i could but i
cant in this case. LONG LIVE *nix
Brett: We also use static IPs. I will check for viruses using my personal laptop
since I dont trust any of the customer's computer.

Thanks to all, I will repost tomorrow.

Erick.

Quoting eperez@xxxxxxxxxxx: