Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] 78 percent of ARP packets on the network

From: "Brett Wheeler" <brett.wheeler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 27 May 2004 09:16:14 +1000
Erick,
We had a similar arp traffic figure at one stage, it turned out to be the
W32.Welchia.Worm.(AKA W32/Nachi.worm, WORM_MSBLAST.D, Lovsan.D)

We found that each PC was trying to map all the other machines by using the
subnet mask and current address.

Since we use static addresses here we were able to capture the source
addresses of infected PCs by capturing ARP requests addressed to an unused
IP and run a cleaning program on each.

Have a look at http://www.sophos.com/support/disinfection/nachia.html for a
cleaner.

Good Luck,
Brett Wheeler
Network Administrator
Daramalan College
Dickson ACT 2602
Australia
Mob (+61) 0417 228 714
email brett.wheelerATdaramalanc.act.edu.au

* Only the good die young, *
* I love my immortality.   *