Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Capture interfaces (loopback?)

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 18:48:30 +0200
Sttf wrote:
> Well i'm not using NAI anymore, but i remember to be able to select the LO
> interface. Maybe i'm wrong, i don't know. Anyway, with loopback i also
> referred to the local IP, of any local interface.
> It means that, with ethereal, at least as far as i've tried, you don see
the
> pings to your own address if it is in you local machine, or do you?
>
> About etherpeek, i have proved it, and indeed  there is not any LO
> interface... it was a real confussion.
> Sorry. It was probably another one that i don't remember.

I looked in "Sniffer Pro - Network Optimization & Troubleshooting Handbook"
(Syngress)
and there is a "Loopback Mode option" in Sniffer Pro, but that seems to be
something else.

You can simulate a capture from a trace fil (File/Loopback Mode).
Putting Sniffer Pro in loopback mode lets you generate traffic (Packet
Generator) and monitor it at the
same time without hurting the network.

I put Sniffer Pro in "loopback mode" but I couldn't see the ping packets I
sent from a MSDOS shell (similar
to tests that worked with CommView 4.1 and it's loopback adapter).