Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Thanks. And I can't find a feature I expect is there

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 11 May 2004 00:17:21 -0700
On Mon, May 10, 2004 at 11:13:55PM -0400, Judy or Chuck Bradley (maybe both) wrote:
> Now for my problem.  I have used other network analyzers
> that had a general way to replace an address by a name.

What do you mean by "a general way" and "replace an address by a name"?

> I searched the help file, the documentation, and the menus,
> but I could not find that in Ethereal.  I did find a way
> to replace the vendor portion of an ethernet physical
> address with a name, provided it was known to Ethereal.

"Replace" in what sense?

> Something as simple as the C #define might go a long way.
> Be sure to only make substitutions on full lexical entities.

The main "lexical entities" in Ethereal are in capture filters and
display filters - and, in both of them, you can use host names as well
as IP addresses, e.g.

	host www.microsoft.com

in a capture filter or

	ip.addr == www.sun.com