Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Help

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2003 12:52:24 -0700
On Tue, Apr 29, 2003 at 12:38:49PM -0700, ed sama wrote:
> Where can I get Window 2000 or XP version of your ethereal that is ready for
> installation like regular program ready to run(no compiling)?

To download Ethereal, follow the "Download" link from the Ethereal home
page at

	http://www.ethereal.com/

The list of links to sections of that page is on the left-hand side of
the home page.  There's a "Download" section, with a link to the
download page.

It also has links under it; for ready-to-install pre-compiled versions,
the correct link is the "Binary Packages" link.  That takes you to

	http://www.ethereal.com/download.html#binaries

The list of platforms is in alphabetical order; Windows is at the
bottom, with a link to

	http://www.ethereal.com/distribution/win32/

Read that page carefully, including the item that says

	To capture packets, you must also install the WinPcap packet
	capture driver; it can also be downloaded from the local mirror
	and the Wiretapped.net mirror site.  If you have an older
	version of WinPcap installed, you must un-install it before
	installing the current version.

so, while our Ethereal package is "ready to run", it's not "ready to
capture" - you have to install WinPcap as well, if you want to capture
packets.