Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] ethereal with gigabit support

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 14:22:39 -0700
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 04:49:42PM -0400, Michael Earls wrote:
> Does ethereal support sniffing a gigabit ethernet link?

"Support" in what sense?

Ethereal uses the OS's drivers and packet capture mechanism to do
sniffing; in most if not all cases, gigabit Ethernet drivers support the
same level of sniffing as other Ethernet drivers.  (Sometimes it's even
the same hardware - 10/100/1000 Ethernet adapters.)

That doesn't necessarily mean it keeps up with the link, however.
(Don't ask me for advice on this; others have looked at it in more
detail.)