Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] I need your help for 802.11 raw packets

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 15 Apr 2003 12:24:58 -0700
On Tue, Apr 15, 2003 at 03:05:52PM +0800, snowborder wrote:
> I want to know why can't I use ethereal to capture 802.11 raw packets
> in windows.Does it not support monitor mode

There is no standard API or kernel programming interface in Windows by
which an 802.11 driver can be asked to go into monitor mode; there
aren't even, as far as I know, documented driver-proprietary interfaces
to do that.

>     I know if i use libpcap 0.7.1 to capture raw packets I need
> another patch.  Is this patch added to the libpcap 0.7.2 ?I wish to know
> what this pacth do?

I'm not sure to which patch you're referring, but if you're referring to
Solomon Peachy's patch to handle the ARPHRD_IEEE80211_PRISM type in
Linux for the linux-wlan-ng Prism II driver, that patch is in 0.7.2.

What it does is, well, add support for the ARPHRD_ type that the
linux-wlan-ng driver for cards using the "Prism II" chipset uses for
monitor-mode captures.