Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Ethernet padding in packets sent from the machine running Ether

Date: Wed, 9 Apr 2003 10:13:11 +0200

Hi everybody.

I 've been doing ping tests with very small packets (a couple of data bytes),
while capturing the packets with Ethereal. The pings were initiated (or
directed) against the machine running Ethereal. The packets involved are smaller
than the mininum Ethernet size and must be padded.

I have found this (strange?) situation in the traces captured. An example trace
is attached.

- The packets received by Ethereal have a frame length of 60, so the Ethernet
padding is taken into account.

- But the packets send by the computer which is running Ethereal have shorter
lengths (43), so the Ethernet padding is not taken into account.

Is this normal? My OS is Windows 2000 / NT.

Thanks in advance.

Carlos

(See attached file: Small sized packets example.cap)

Esperamos su visita en http://www.telefonica-data.es

informacion privilegiada o confidencial cuya divulgacion esta prohibida en
virtud de la legislacion vigente. Si ha recibido este mensaje por error, le
rogamos que nos lo comunique inmediatamente por esta misma via y proceda a su
destruccion.