Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Problem with new installation.

From: "Wozny, Scott" <swozny@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Mon, 7 Apr 2003 23:33:47 -0400
Installed winpcap 2.3 and ethereal 0.9.11 (win32) on WinXP SP1.  I've rebooted after install and when I run ethereal it pegs the processor but no window appears.  It's not consistently increasing memory, so it looks like it could be a display problem (took colours down to 16 bit colour from 24 bit just to make sure as I read in the FAQ that 256 colour was a problem).

Just to make sure it's not winpcap, I downloaded windump and it works fine.

I'm not able to locate any debug files and I don't know if I can run GDB under XP so I'm wondering if there's a way to launch ethereal so it records some data I can use to troubleshoot this problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Scott

BTW, I gave tethereal a try and I get the following response and need to ctrl-c to get my prompt back.  Element Manager isn't running at the time, but some SNMP objects seem to be trying to load.

Undefined OBJECT-GROUP (snmpBasicNotificationsGroup): At line 395 in C:\Program
Files\Enterasys Networks\NetSight Element Manager 3.0\resources\mibs/SNMPv2-MIB.
txt
Undefined OBJECT-GROUP (entityNotificationsGroup): At line 1074 in C:\Program Fi
les\Enterasys Networks\NetSight Element Manager 3.0\resources\mibs/rfc2737.txt
Undefined OBJECT-GROUP (entityNotificationsGroup): At line 1060 in C:\Program Fi
les\Enterasys Networks\NetSight Element Manager 3.0\resources\mibs/rfc2737.txt
Unlinked OID in ENTERASYS-PWA-MIB: etsysPwaMIB ::= { ctron 150 }
Bad month in timestamp (9900200000Z): At line 65 in C:\Program Files\Enterasys N
etworks\NetSight Element Manager 3.0\resources\mibs/ctron-ssr-hardware.txt
Bad day in timestamp (990301000000Z): At line 54 in C:\Program Files\Enterasys N
etworks\NetSight Element Manager 3.0\resources\mibs/ctron-igmp-mib.txt

Scott A. Wozny
Enterasys, NYC