Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] IP Identification number

From: Kevin <kem2@xxxxxxx>
Date: Sat, 5 Apr 2003 15:40:59 -0500
Two observations here

1) IP ID is usually incremented per packet. That means any other packet leaving the interface will increment the ID IP. This is not based on the S/D IP, but on a packet for any destination heading out the interface.

2) Several techniques to fool hackers cause the IP ID to not increment by one every packet, but by some random number. This prevents the hacker from fingerprinting the OS.

These 2 variables pretty much preclude the use of IP ID being used to reliably detect the conditions you described. You really have to dig into the upper layers to be sure.

Kevin Mason