Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] IP Identification number

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 4 Apr 2003 23:10:09 -0800
On Sat, Apr 05, 2003 at 08:27:57AM +0200, Martin Regner wrote:
> When I read through the mail I read it as it said "RTP video stream",
> but now I noticed that it didn't say RTP.

If it's not RTP, is it some other protocol that carries video streams
*and* that's dissected by Ethereal?

If so, perhaps that protocol's dissector puts sequence numbers into the
Info column (if not, perhaps it should), or even supplies some form of
higher-level analysis, e.g. with a tap similar to the RTP analysis tap.

If not, then Ben can't get what he wants, as you can't detect
out-of-order or missing packets at the UDP level, you have to go to a
higher level, and if Ethereal doesn't dissect the higher level protocol,
it can't possibly detect out-of-order or missing packets.