Ethereal-users: RE [Ethereal-users] problems loading ethereal 9.11 on windows 2000

From: "Martin Regner" <martin.regner@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 23:58:39 +0200
Keneth Avery wrote:
<I have had some problems loading the latest ethereal onto my windows 2000 professional PC.
<We have a Linux guy here in our lab who stays up on the latest releases of Ethereal, and I have not had any
<problems with the last five or six times I upgraded my etherreal analyzer over the last year on the same <machine.
<I removed my previous version of ethereal (9.6).  I installed the latest version of winpcap (3.0 beta).  I
<rebooted my machine.  I then installed ethereal 9.11.  Both applications appeared to run fine.  When I
<attempted to run ethereal, the window for the application would not appear.  If I hit control-alt-delete, I could <see my CPU was at 100%, and 98-99% of it was the ethereal process.  This was still true after 5 minutes,
<even though no window had appeared!  I had no other applications running on my PC.
<To attempt to correct this I uninstalled ethereal 9.11.  Did a search on ethereal on my PC and removed any
<files I found, and then reinstalled the application again.  I still got the same results.  I finally ended up back
<reving to ethereal 9.6 again, at which point the application came back up.
<
<I was told another person in our group had a similar problem.  Have you had any similar issues reported with
<installing ethereal 9.11 on a Windows 2000 machine?  Could you look into the issue.

I had a similar problem after I installed Ethereal 0.9.8. That was the first Windows-version that included NET-SNMP.
On Windows 2000 Ethereal was hanging just after I tried to start it. On Windows 98 Ethereal was crashing.

I had put a MIB that had faulty syntax (some IMPORT ... FROM statements was missing) in the directory where NET-SNMP is looking for MIBS and then nothing happend when I double-clicked on the Ethereal icon
on Windows 2000 and on Windows 98 I got a crash.

Check if you have some environment variable MIBDIRS and/or MIBS.
I think you can do this e.g. with the "set" command in a MSDOS window, or by checking
Settings/Control Panel/System/Advanced/Environment variables (or something similar - I'm not on my Win2K machine right now).

Maybe you have runned or are running some software that uses ucd-snmp library. The MIB I had in the directory was not causing any problems with ucd-snmp, but just with NET-SNMP.

I noticed on the NET-SNMP web-page that someone had noticed exactly the same crash-problem that I had
on Windows 98 and that the problem could be solved by adding some  IMPORT ... FROM  in the MIB.
I added the missing IMPORT statements and then I didn't get any crash/hanging.