Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] problems loading ethereal 9.11 on windows 2000

From: "Avery, Kenneth" <kavery@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 3 Apr 2003 10:44:59 -0500
Hello,

I have had some problems loading the latest ethereal onto my windows 2000 professional PC.  We have a Linux guy here in our lab who stays up on the latest releases of Ethereal, and I have not had any problems with the last five or six times I upgraded my etherreal analyzer over the last year on the same machine.
I removed my previous version of ethereal (9.6).  I installed the latest version of winpcap (3.0 beta).  I rebooted my machine.  I then installed ethereal 9.11.  Both applications appeared to run fine.  When I attempted to run ethereal, the window for the application would not appear.  If I hit control-alt-delete, I could see my CPU was at 100%, and 98-99% of it was the ethereal process.  This was still true after 5 minutes, even though no window had appeared!  I had no other applications running on my PC.
To attempt to correct this I uninstalled ethereal 9.11.  Did a search on ethereal on my PC and removed any files I found, and then reinstalled the application again.  I still got the same results.  I finally ended up back reving to ethereal 9.6 again, at which point the application came back up.

I was told another person in our group had a similar problem.  Have you had any similar issues reported with installing ethereal 9.11 on a Windows 2000 machine?  Could you look into the issue.

Thanks again for making such a great product!  I find it much more useful than Sniffer Pro for the work I do.

Ken

Ken Avery
ENET Routing
Enterasys Networks Inc.