Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Decode As function RPC

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 1 Apr 2003 10:58:35 -0800
On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 04:15:28PM +0200, Heilmaier, Alois wrote:
> I am looking for the Decode AS for RPC-Protocol.
> RPC is not a transportlayer protocol so it seems to be not in the Decode As
> function.

Protocols that run *above* the transport layer are in the Decode As list
as well.

However, protocols for which the dissector looks at the packet data and
tries to guess whether the packet is a packet for that protocol aren't.

Is the problem that the RPC traffic (whether it's ONC RPC or DCE RPC) is
going to or from a port for which some other dissector registers itself,
so that the other dissector dissects the traffic?  If so, the way you
fix the problem is to disable that protocol from the "Protocols" item in
the "Edit" menu.