Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] 802.11 support in Windows

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 6 Feb 2003 10:52:25 -0800
On Thu, Feb 06, 2003 at 09:10:28AM -0500, Dave Piscitello wrote:
> Even without 802.11 support, ethereal satisfies the 90%+ rule for what it is
> purposed to do. Most folks can live with an analyzer that parses all but
> the 802.11 management/beacon frames,

Ethereal parses those as well, in the sense that, on all platforms,
including those on which it can't capture them, it can dissect those
frames in a capture that contains them - a capture from a Linux or a BSD
that can capture them, or from one of the Windows tools that can capture
them (and whose capture files Ethereal can read - it can read Surveyor
files, but nobody's yet sent us a Surveyor Wireless file so we don't
know what we need to do in order to read those as 802.11 captures).

It - and other WinPcap-based applications - just can't currently
*capture* them.