Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] 802.11 support in Windows

From: Dave Piscitello <dave@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Thu, 06 Feb 2003 09:10:28 -0500
Thanks for both pointers. I'm familiar with the commercial tools you mentioned, Bates, and have managed to get an extended look at airopeek, airmagnet and waverunner for a chapter for a book we have begun. Even without 802.11 support, ethereal satisfies the 90%+ rule for what it is purposed to do. Most folks can live with an analyzer that parses all but the 802.11 management/beacon frames, and there are enough complementary free and shareware products, even for windows OSs, to make the multi-$1000 purchases unnecessary for small to medium organizations.

And there's always the "jeez, just buy a $400 laptop off ebay, select your WLAN PC card wisely, and run linux..." answer that, surprisingly, no one offered on the list :-)

Appreciate your time and thoughts,

regards,

Dave