Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] More on tehereal exceptions and Blue Screens

From: Guy Harris <gharris@xxxxxxxxx>
Date: Fri, 28 Jun 2002 03:14:34 -0700
On Thu, Feb 28, 2002 at 11:42:23AM -0000, Nick Baldwin wrote:
> Regarding the software exception or Blue screen of Death when exiting NT4
> tethereal with the Ctrl-C sequence.

I've checked in a fix for the exception part.  The BSOD is either a
bug in Microsoft kernel code, driver kernel code, or WinPcap kernel
code, so there's not much a user-mode program like Ethereal can do about
it.

> There is an entry in the Ruby archive
> 	'disable interrupt while executing accept() or select() to avoid
> Ctrl-C causes
> 	"unknown software exception (0xc0000029)
>
> from the perl archives for 2000 found problems with exception 0xc0000029
> while trapping Ctrl-C

Both problems may be due to the same UNIX vs. Windows difference that
caused the problem in Ethereal (you can "longjmp()" out of a signal
handler in UNIX, but you can't "longjmp()" out of a SIGINT signal
handler, or a console control-C handler, in Windows, as they run in a
special thread created for handling the signal).