Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] Missing Something Really Simple

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2002 15:16:45 -0700
On Wed, Jun 19, 2002 at 02:05:37PM -0400, Eric Robinson wrote:
> I just installed Red Hat 7.3, and the ethereal-0.9.4-0.7.3.0 package
> came installed with it. However, there is no ethereal executable.
> Tethereal is there. I have tried erasing and re-installing the latest
> ethereal rpm, but no luck. I still don't get an ethereal executable.
>
> I can run tethereal in console mode, but not the gui. What am I doing
> wrong?

I suspect what you're doing wrong is assuming that the people who
packaged Ethereal in RH 7.3 had a clue about how to name packages; that
does not appear to be the case. :-)

>From what I've heard in other messages to ethereal-users, you have to
install some ethereal-gnome package (or some other package with
"ethereal" and "gnome" in its name) to get Ethereal, *the fact that
Ethereal doesn't use GNOME, only GTK+ and GLib, nonwithstanding*.

The ethereal package does not include Ethereal, the fact that it has
"ethereal" in its name nonwithstanding.

If people really wanted a no-GUI and with-GUI package, I'd have called
the first one "tethereal" and the second one "ethereal", but they didn't
ask me what to call them....