Ethereal-users: Re: [Ethereal-users] GIOP dissection

From: Guy Harris <guy@xxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 19:38:14 -0700
On Tue, Jun 18, 2002 at 09:25:30AM -0400, BMason@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx wrote:
> I am trying to use Ethereal on Windows 2000 to decipher CORBA traffic, but
> it has not been able to decode any CORBA packets.

What do you mean by "decode"?

I.e., what does Ethereal display when you click on a CORBA packet?

Does it dissect it as GIOP?  (If not, is the packet a GIOP packet?)

> I think I am supposed to
> be able to do this via the CosNaming and CosEvents plugins.

Those plugins dissect those particular protocols, but they don't dissect
all protocols that use CORBA; are the packets in question CosNaming or
CosEvents packets?

> When I go to
> tools->plugins, I get a dialog box which simply lists the plugins, and only
> offers an option of pressing the "OK" button to close the dialog box. Should
> I be able to activate the plugins?

No, you shouldn't, because plugin dissectors are *always* activated;
there's no option to de-activate them.