Ethereal-users: [Ethereal-users] Problems running over ppp

From: Marc Bohnert <MBohnert@xxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2002 14:01:41 -0400
I am running  ethereal (ethereal 0.9.1, with GTK+ 1.2.10, with GLib 1.2.10,
with libpcap 0.6, with libz
1.1.3, with CMU SNMP V1.14, Shared (1:14:0)) on a HP server HPUX 11.0. It
installed fine but when I run it I get the following messages and I do not
see the GUI. I am running it over a ppp connection. I have my DISPLAY
variable set to my ip address (my pc). I am running exceed X server on my
pc.

Could it be that it takes a long time to upload graphics to my PC. I can run
other GUI tools such as swinstall and xclock and they come up pretty quick.

When I invoke it:

# ethereal

Gdk-WARNING **: locale not supported by Xlib, locale set to C

Gdk-WARNING **: can not set locale modifiers

I am able to run the GUI when telnet'd in to a server that is not over a ppp
connection but on a local lan connection.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Marc Bohnert
MedPlus