Ethereal-users: RE: [Ethereal-users] Ethereal 0.9.4 on NT4 : no submenus

Date: Thu, 13 Jun 2002 23:43:43 +0100
Guy et al,

>On Thu, Jun 13, 2002 at 03:59:08PM +0100, Alistair.McGlinchy@
>marks-and-spencer.com wrote:
>> But there's still something odd.
>> When I select any one of the 4 graphs in the sub menu, I get an error
>> message "Ethereal Warning: Selected packet is not a TCP Segment" even
when
>> the packet is a TCP. I upgraded from 0.9.3 to 0.9.4 today and get the
same
>> message. See attached PNG.

>What's the link layer protocol? Is there any form of tunneling being
>done? The TCP Stream Analysis code only supports some link layers (as it
>does its own parsing of the raw frame to find the TCP headers, rather
>than using Ethereal's parser).

Excuse my ignorance, I don't know too much about traffic below layer 3. I
presume you can translate the following into what you need to know.

Token-Ring
    Access Control: 0x10
        000. .... = Priority: 0
        ...1 .... = Frame: Frame
        .... 0... = Monitor Count: 0
        .... .000 = Priority Reservation: 0
    Frame Control: 0x40
        01.. .... = Frame Type: LLC (1)
        .... 0000 = Frame PCF: Normal buffer (0)
    Destination: 00:00:c9:09:39:2e (00:00:c9:09:39:2e)
    Source: 00:20:35:42:f3:cd (00:20:35:42:f3:cd)
    Source Routed: False
Logical-Link Control
    DSAP: SNAP (0xaa)
    IG Bit: Individual
    SSAP: SNAP (0xaa)
    CR Bit: Command
    Control field: U, func = UI (0x03)
        000. 00.. = Unnumbered Information
        .... ..11 = Unnumbered frame
    Organization Code: Encapsulated Ethernet (0x000000)
    Type: IP (0x0800)

>> I still don't get a pull-right menu on for Match or Prepare regardless of
>> which frame is selected.
>
>If you use the "Match" or "Prepare" right-mouse-button menu items in the
>topmost (packet list) pane, the mouse has to be over a column on which
>the code that implements "Match" and "Prepare" supports; it doesn't
>?support the Protocol or Info columns.

Ooops I should have been more specific here. I meant that I still don't get
a pull-right menu on for Match or Prepare **from the Display Menu**. The
right mouse button works fine.

While were on the subject of Menus is there any chance you could make the
menus automatically disapear when etheral looses focus (eg alt-tab on NT).
If not can they at least not be set to "always on top".  Having an Ethereal
menu visible without the Ethereal app having focus is weird.

Cheers,

Alistair

> Alistair McGlinchy,           alistair.mcglinchy@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx
> Sizing and Performance, Central IT,   ext. 5012,   ph +44 20 7268-5012
> Marks and Spencer, 3 Longwalk Rd, Stockley Park, Uxbridge UB11 1AW, UK

Registered Office:
Marks & Spencer p.l.c
Michael House, Baker Street,
London, W1U 8EP
Registered No. 214436 in England and Wales.

Telephone (020) 7935 4422
Facsimile (020) 7487 2670

www.marksandspencer.com

The registered office of Marks and Spencer Financial Services Limited, Marks and Spencer Unit Trust Management Limited, Marks and Spencer Life Assurance Limited and Marks and Spencer Savings and Investments Limited is Kings Meadow, Chester, CH99 9FB.